When it comes to allegations of domestic violence, there are almost always two sides of the story. If you’re charged with this serious crime in Virginia, it’s imperative to understand the steps you can take to clear your name.
There are many defense strategies for a domestic violence charge, with these five among the most common:
- Lack of proof: In many cases, this is the best way to win your case. If the other party is unable to meet the burden of proof, there’s a greater chance of walking away without any further consequences.
- Self-defense: You may be able to claim that you acted in self-defense, such as if the other individual was threatening you with a weapon or attempting to harm your children.
- False allegations: If you’re in a bad relationship, it’s possible your partner could make false allegations as a means of getting back at you. This is common in complex and messy divorce and child custody cases. For example, your ex-spouse may file a domestic violence complaint as a means of gaining sole custody of your children.
- Wrong person: This entails claiming that another person was responsible for the domestic violence, not you. To use this strategy, you must present evidence that proves you were not at the scene when the incident occurred.
A conviction can be life-altering
A domestic violence conviction can change your life in many ways. In addition to criminal penalties, such as time in jail, you should also have concerns about the following:
- Losing custody or visitation rights with your children
- Restraining order
- Requirement to attend a rehabilitation program
- Loss of rights, such as your ability to own a firearm or maintain a valid driver’s license
- Loss of employment
The right domestic violence defense strategy can go a long way in helping you avoid a conviction and the many consequences associated with it.
Since this is such a serious situation, it’s critical to consult with an experienced legal professional. This will help you better understand your legal rights, how to protect them and which strategy gives you the best chance of avoiding life-altering consequences.
Visit our website for more information on how to defend yourself against domestic violence and related charges.